Santa Barbara County and its local jurisdictions are launching the Aware & Prepare emergency notification system to keep residents, staff and emergency personnel safe and informed with quick and reliable emergency notifications and public service announcements. The Aware & Prepare Initiative will be used to communicate with citizens and businesses during emergencies and other critical events. Residents are encouraged to register immediately to receive these alerts: www.awareandprepare.org.
The Aware & Prepare notification system will alert residents about a variety of events, ranging from severe weather, fires, floods and other emergencies, to more routine announcements, such as road closures and water utility maintenance. Messages will be sent to residents on their preferred contact path- cell phone, SMS, home phone, email, fax, pager and more to ensure real - time access to potentially lifesaving information. Residents listed in Santa Barbara County 911 database will be automatically subscribed to alerts by phone, but Aware & Prepare allows citizens to self-register, provide additional contact information or opt out.
How to register for alerts:
- Step 1: Go to the Aware and Prepare website at awareandprepare.org and click on the red “Register for Alerts” tab
- Step 2: Create a User Profile then click on the “Create Your Account” button
- Step 3: Follow the prompts to enter the requested information (contacts, location, subscriptions, etc.)
- Step 4: Specify any access or functional needs, or any special skills that can be used to help others during an emergency
- Step 5: Review your information for accuracy then click Finish
Please note, that this enhanced system provides location based notification, and will eventually become our primary method of alerting the community to emergencies and important events. For more information, please contact Joyce Reed at (805) 969-2537.